Monday, November 5, 2018

To Refuse My Early Fate

I mean, I never thought that I'd be riding in a Rav 4 without a shirt at 60 mph in a rainstorm, but I also didn't think I'd make it this far either, so, what can I say?

Halloween was this week, and three of the four of us received glowsticks in packages. We cracked em up and turned off the lights and enjoyed them for a season. It was then that one of our glowsticks was released into the air and hit me. I hurtled a glowstick back, causing a 45 minute battle to commence. Immediately, we sought refuge with the divider in the kitchen. Shortly after, glowsticks were being lobbed over and wreaking havoc. It became rather intense, and there was a lot of yelling in pain and shock. I hit Elder Thorne in the head enough times to merit a time out so that he could strap on his bike helmet. Elder Herem was also annihilated by my wrath. At the end of the night, I had a welt on the side of my face and my stomach, and both of them had welts over most of their bodies. It was all on all a very fun night. This was all from 9-10:30, of course, so don't go around thinking we were being apostate.

We were moseying our way through the streets as we often do when we went in to see one of our newly obtained people to teach. He bestowed us with the very sad knowledge that his grandfather had four weeks to live. We had the opportunity to share testimony that the plan of salvation is real and that we will be able to see our loved ones again eventually. His mother came home soon after, and she became very invested. Not only did she become a new investigator, but she will have her other 15 year old son be present too. Though the numbers game is nice to play, we are very glad that we can share such an important message with them in such a time of trial. 

If you've been following along, you'd know that Elder Ruth has been very very bad at sleeping for over two years now. Its made things pretty difficult and I usually don't feel too good. I got a call this week from the mission nurse. She was on the phone with the mission president who gave me permission to be honorably released from my mission because of my struggles. I rejected the offer, but it made things hard, knowing that I know had permission to go home whenever I wanted, no questions asked. Well, I'm not dead yet, and so as long as I've got a little fight left in me, I'll keep doing what I can to bring more people to Christ.  I was in a funk for the rest of the day, but when I woke up, I was freed from the haze. 

It rained a whole lot this week. So of course it was this week that we decided to ride a pig. We slopped our way into the pig pen and chased them around until we could catch a monster pig and sit on em. Poor Elder Thorne lasted about half a second before getting bucked off. I lasted about two seconds, but in my defense, these pigs were super wet and we didn't have anything except their ears to hold onto. Because of the cold, I was wearing thermals under my actual clothes. My shirt got pretty gross, my pants were soiled, and my shoes were wrecked. We sprayed us down pretty good, but we couldn't just disgrace the seats of the best car in the world. I shrugged and took my shirts off, along with my Jean's. My thermal bottoms were untouched, so I drove us all back like that. All four of us were yelling because of the bad smell and fists were flying and it was just hilarious. A good hot shower was certainly taken after that ordeal, believe you me. 

So, tell me, my wonderful Christian friends, when was the last time that you have studied the book Philippians from the New Testament? If you're anything like me, it was probably years and years ago. We sit down with one of our people, and she says she really needs to understand what this book says, and she needed our help. I said a prayer in my mind to help me interpret the madness and the Holy Ghost got to work within. We fought our way through with the help of intellect, footnotes and inspiration. As far as I'm concerned, that book is of little to no consequence to us, but we made it, and were then able to share a powerful lesson on your boy, Joseph Smith afterwords. Thanks, spirit. 

I suppose one more notable thing this week could be the ward party we were invited to. There were we, just trying to have a nice time and socialize with some of the non members present when elders quorum president just snatches us right up, claiming us to be the judges of the chili cook off. We were then dragged to the front of the line to taste all of them. Elder Herem experienced hell as he ventured his way through the spiciest beans this side of anywhere. I held up just fine until a couple hours later when my esophagus decided to light itself on fire. We chose our winners and socialized a bit more, then got the heck out of there for poor Elder Herem's sake, whose mouth was still on fire. 

That's enough of the good stuff for this week. The rest of the stuff was ok but worth sharing. Honorable mentions are the good lesson we had with my favorite person to teach, the 7 PM miracle which was actually 8 PM due to day light savings, rebuking another dog, and Elder Herem leveling up his teaching skill multiple times. That'll do, donkey. 

Check out this here dog!

Elder Ruth



No comments:

Post a Comment