Monday, January 29, 2018

Bail, bail, bail! (from the Palouse Ward)

This week was a gauntlet of pain. Every day until Saturday, I had a new thing ailing me. Each thing would only last a day, and then I would move on to something else. I had extreme fatigue, dizziness, inability to understand what was going on, the worst migraine I have ever had, and probably something else. But I am free now! What a strange week. I was actually excitedly looking forward to the next day like, "I wonder what will happen to me tomorrow?? This is sweet".


Every last appointment we had this week cancelled on us, mostly on the same day just an hour or two before we would arrive. It was a little disheartening to not be able to teach, but we still made it a good week. We got plenty of important administrative things accomplished. 

We were able to finish up working on a bike, and now it is up for sale. It was a lot of fun to do it, even though I didn't know what I was doing for the majority of the time. The handlebar wrap snapped at one point, and so I was able to keep the excess. *two weeks ago* I found the head of a rubber mallet. *four weeks ago* I found a sweet metal rod. *this week* I attached the mallet head to the rod. It was a near perfect fit. I then jammed it on as hard as I could and smacked it several times. I then took the pink wrap and wrapped up my mallet. It truly is a beauty. I'd show you if I had remembered to take a picture of it.

I was able to try a couple new foods for the first time! The first thing I had was kale. I wouldn't buy it for myself, and I certainly don't understand why others would, either, but it was still tolerable and I could easily eat lots of it without heaving. The next food I had was scallops. For those of you who are like me and didn't know what that is, it's those black oysters that stick to rocks at the beach. It wasn't bad at all! What a relief, because in the past, I have not enjoyed seafood. I actually really enjoyed it. It was in a tomato soup with shrimp and some other sea food thing. I don't know what the other thing is, otherwise I would tell you. When the member left the kitchen, I slid my shrimp into my companion's bowl. 

On my day of extreme fatigue, I fell asleep after I put clothes on after a shower. The door was closed because I was changing. About an hour later, still during the time we don't have to be doing missionary stuff, Elder Carson came and knocked on the door while calling my name. I didn't answer, so he came in and started saying my name. I still didn't wake up, so he started pushing on my foot. He eventually lifted my leg by the ankle and shook it for a few seconds until I finally woke up. I just opened my eyes full of surprise and cried,"What are you doing to me?!"

I had the opportunity to have dinner at a home where the woman is full japanese. I had a great time talking with her. It was so much fun communicating back and forth. I was so glad to see that I hadn't lost as much of my skill as I thought I had. Elder Carson joined in on the fun by mumbling loose Spanish he somewhat learned in school.

I had the opportunity to go on exchanges with an elder who is in his first transfer. This means that he is still in training. I was excited to take him under my wing. I got to train him during our companion study and also learned a bit from him as well. It made me hope that I would be training this transfer. I am being transferred to a city which is pronounced Quarterlane. I will be serving in two wards at once. This'll be interesting! I am excited to go see new people and trade my old problems for a set of new problems. Bring it on!

In our missionary adventures, I came across a large group of wild turkeys. I have never been on foot near such a gathering. I stood mystified while staring at them. Elder Carson said that they wouldn't gang up on me and attack, and so I chose to pursue them. Turkeys can move! I chased one turkey back and forth a couple times and then all the way down the road. I chose to administer mercy and let it off easy. All I wanted to do was catch it and try and take a picture, but I'll respect his privacy.

Anyways, I wanted to talk a bit about the plan of salvation. We have something amazing and many of us don't even realize it. I talked to one lady who had had two loved ones die and a third in the hospital. She was broken inside and had no light at the end of her tunnel. Life had just ended, and there was no moving forward. I couldn't let her wait until the next time she is taught, and so I bore my testimony. I promised her that she will see the ones she loves again. They will be together again. They are in a state of peace and rest, and they are watching over her now. We are blessed to have this knowledge. Jesus Christ suffered everything and then died so that we could all be together forever. It is synonymous with the plan of happiness for a reason. I know how difficult death is--I think I have experienced more than is common than someone my age, but in the moment, it is impossible to bear. Just turn to the Savior and remember the reason that you came to earth. You trusted Heavenly Father and knew all would be made right again. This earth life is so small in comparison to eternity. We will all see our loved ones again and all will be made right. Don't forget.

Rain lets up for a moment.  It's still cold out here!

Fancy dinner at the Japanese lady's house (thank you for feeding us!)

Missionary Work is tiring sometimes

No comments:

Post a Comment